Montag, 1. Juni 2009

53 became 42

I tried to forget that I had applied to this life changing event in order to protect my sanity. Thursday came and I was told I was in the top 53, something I had never thought I would be. That meant I had more than an 80% chance to be chosen. Pretty good odds. I tried not to get my hopes up. The weekend passed and the deadline they had set for picking the final 42 passed without a phone call or an e-mail. I hadn't given up hope, but I wasn't set on anything either.

Monday morning I received an e-mail around 10 in the morning informing my I hadn't made the cut.

"Thank you once more for your interest in 42RIDE. it is with no small amount of regret that we inform you that, unfortunately, we will not be able to have you join us on this Summer's ride."

My heart sank a little bit but I was ok. I still had plans for the summer. Two jobs lined up and the two university classes required to finish my degree were going to keep me busy during the hot summer months. I planned for an interview the following day and put the subject out of my mind.

Around 1:30pm I got a call from the 42RIDE people asking me if i had filled out the paperwork.. "What paperwork," I asked. "I was told I wasnt coming on the trip." "No! You're in!" He said. "I must have forgotten to take your name off the email list and add it to the finalists."

At this point I was hyperventilating and laughing so hard that he was having a hard time getting a word in. He sent me the paperwork and the process began.

I went to Revolution Cycles in Eugene, OR to inquire about purchasing a Surly Long Haul Trucker for the ride. "Truckaccino" is the only color, but I'm hoping it will grow on me.

I now have a long list of things I need in order to get my baby bicycle touring career in full swing. Gloves, clothes, shoes, saddle, waterbottles, the wishlist goes on and on.

The tour begins on June 25th from Central Park in New York. More details soon.

1 Kommentar: